Sunday, March 17, 2013

Variety (and/or) Randomness

Ah, it's always interesting firing up the blog after coming back from a trip. This time, interspersed between the usual stories, pictures of the kids for the grandparents, and random photos, I'm going to be doing a bit of thinking out loud as a way of sorting out some bits of what's becoming quite a long stay away from home.

One thought that struck me many times during our recent trip is the vast variety (if I was in a good mood) or sheer randomness (if I was in a bad mood) of life on our planet. Just a quick few examples to get us started, from the realm of architecture...

IMG_1774

Bangkok

...commerce...

Gold for sale, Macao

Nong Khai

...and food:

Ban Suai Lhong, Thailand

Foi Thong doughnut, Dunkin' Donuts, Bangkok train station

So, yeah, six random bits all more or less from the same corner of the world, but all very different. And not just along the lines of old vs. new, traditional vs. contemporary, or even rich vs. poor. More like wow, look at all of the systems we've put in place for dealing with the world! And it doesn't take long after that (or shouldn't, anyway) for the next set of questions to follow - why does this set of people have this set of systems? Who choose this particular system in the first place? Is one system better than the other? And the very different set of systems that I grew up with, what about those?

If you're not careful, travel can get you into an infinite loop of navel gazing pretty quickly, so I beg forgiveness if that's where this next set of posts is headed. And, of course, none of these questions are particularly new, and they've all been answered in ways much more eloquently that I can manage.

But still, it's what's been on my mind lately, and what is this blog besides a really tiny corner of my brain made public? With lots of pretty pictures, I might add.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment