Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ordinary Stuff - Designed a bit better

Behold, my razor!

IMG_7849

An ordinary razor handle, purchased in the US maybe - 15 - years ago? (Sorry, I should've cleaned it up for the picture.) If you look closely, though, you'll see a teeny white plastic tab on top of each blade. Why? The tab is connected to a thin piece of plastic between the blades. Push the tab, push out the small bits of stubble stuck between the blades. Viola! A cleaner razor, and you don't have to change the blade as often. You'll notice that the blades are sold in packs of two, which, according to the packaging, is a two months' supply for most Chinese men.

So we've got the rare phenomenon of an American company making things that last longer, are (okay, only slightly) less disposable, and are (again, only slightly) better for the environment. Who'd have thought, huh? Gillette's got my business for now - until I work up the energy and courage to find myself a straight edge razor and learn how to use it, anyway...

3 comments:

  1. The razors over here used to look like that. I don't think I even noticed when they stopped having the cleaner-thingy. Huh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have that same razor with the same stubble-cleaner thingy. If memory serves, they discontinued the cleaner-thingy in the US in 1995 and from that point forward started selling me replacement blades twice as often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those blades are pretty old here, and are expensive. A 10 pack costs $17CAD/112rmb here in Canada, and they don't have the push cleaner. I wish they had the push cleaner here...

    http://www.dontai.com/wp/

    ReplyDelete