Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Blurry

IMG_1842

I'm up at about 4:30 in the morning, and this set of photos captures my mood in more ways than one. Blurry-eyed, but also blurry in the sense that all of the events of the past couple of months are running together in my brain right now.

When I was a kid, we took lots of family vacations, and my mom made us write "Vacation Books" during a couple of them. A Vacation Book is simply a spiral notebook, with diary entries for what we did each day and all manner of postcards, pamphlets and maps taped inside to show what we did. I still have mine in a box in the basement. As I was packing up and going through my paperwork, I had to resist the temptation to read through them cover to cover to find out exactly what I did in Philadelphia and Washington D.C. in the summer of 1977.

I do remember, however, that nearly every entry started with the phrase "We woke up, ate breakfast, then we...". Not the most original, but it did get me writing about the day. Now that I'm starting my own online "Vacation Book", I'm wrestling with the impossibility of Getting Everthing Recorded. Maybe the simple fact that I'm up and eating breakfast is a good place to start...

No comments:

Post a Comment