Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Bonjour, mon petit bureau du change

My students often ask me how many languages I speak, and I astound them when I answer four. (English, German, very basic Spanish, and six-year-old Chinese) What I don't tell them, because I fear that they would drop to the floor in a swooning faint, is that I am also fluent in Les Francais touristique, or, as we say in zee English, PseudoFrench.

This came to mind because: A) It's the beginning of the school year, and time to return our thoughts to those basic building blocks of language, and B) because I've been on a Flight of the Conchords kick recently, and they provide an excellent denounment dans le F'du T in the video below.



I've gotta admit that when I played this in class one last spring, my students were a bit bewildered. Maybe I'll save it for my session on stereotypes...?

No comments:

Post a Comment