Monday, September 19, 2011

Look, Honey, it's our friends the Mangosteens!

...and the Rambutans, and the Dragonfruits....why all sorts of our friends from China and Southeast Asia are here!  What are you all doing in Canada?

DSCF0152

Seems like I took these photos in Toronto's Chinatown back during a visit there in the summer of 2008 - right about the time when we were considering a volunteer position open in Egypt.  That would have been interesting, would it not? 

(Spoiler alert:  The Egypt thing didn't work out.)

DSCF0154

Now that I look at the photos, I do remember thinking "What the heck are these strange mutant things?", and we talked to a Chinese guy who was really excited to find what I now know are longans (the little brown ones in the photo above), which didn't make it to Toronto that often, apparently. 

 DSCF0153

Wow, a sign that our whole Asian adventure was predestined after all! 

Or, more likely, a sign that I've always been attracted to strange-looking tropical fruit...

2 comments:

  1. Scott Spencer was CEO of the (fictitious) Rambutan Records at Mac. I always thought it had great potential. Oh how I miss Youzi. Eat one for me when you get back, or are you back now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'm back with Zekey and Ysa, with Jane and Xander on the way in three weeks or so. (You've got some reading to catch up on!) The tiny tangerines are just coming in, so I'd imagine the Youzi aren't too far into the future...

    ReplyDelete