Friday, November 27, 2009

Mounting Evidence

(posted by Dave)

In my many months in China, I have, through exhaustive research, come to an astounding conclusion: China has more people than the United States! The latest evidence came to me while standing in line at the ATM just now. (For those of you who aren’t in the same time zone as I am and reading this post the moment that I wrote it, it’s about 10:30 on Friday night).

My first thought was, “Wow, this is a pretty short line - there are only about six people ahead of me.” (note: it’s very common to see up to 30 people in line at the ATM by the university gate near our apartment...)

My second thought: “Wait - before this June, was I ever in a line of six people waiting for an ATM?” Followed by: “Was I ever in a line at an ATM?” Which led to... “Hey, it’s 10:30 at night! On a Friday! Wow, there ARE a lot of people in China!!”

Brilliant logic, eh? One of you can get in touch with the MacArthur Foundation any time now - I’ll be able to accept my Genius Grant when I get back to the States....

No comments:

Post a Comment