Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cliches are cliches cuz' they're true*

IMG_3958

Going to work, Yuanyang rice terraces, Yunnan

(*at least in part...) Above, two stereotypical images of China from our trip. I could start blathering on about the huge differences and amazing contradictions that we saw during the last month, but I'll try to resist the temptation to draw conclusions about a country that I am realizing that I know very little about. An American friend of ours who has been living in Shanghai for the last fifteen years or so gave us this popular expat cliche to think over:

"People who have been in China for a week can write a book about their experiences. If you've been here a month, you can write an article. After a year or so, you're lucky if you feel qualified to write a clear sentence or two."

Think I'll stick with photos for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment