Friday, March 18, 2011

The House(s) of the Spirits

IMG_3219

A spirit house in Thailand is just that - a place where spirits can come and live with people. Being more of a tourist than a participant in Thai culture, I don't know much more than that, other that what I've read on the internet very briefly. However, to paraphrase a saying, "I don't know much about spirit houses, but I know what I like." And, being the fan of elaborate miniature architecture that I am, I found a lot of spirit houses that I liked. Here are a few photos of some of my favorites...

IMG_2733
One at the end of a vegetable market in Bangkok

IMG_3226
Not technically a spirit house, but spirits like to hang out in the roots of banyan trees as well.

Modernist spirit house, Chiang Mai
A modernist version, outside the offices of Thai Airlines in Chiang Mai.


Small shrine surrouned by hundreds of plastic zebras, Bangkok

And the best for last - I have no idea why this one is surrounded by hundreds of plastic zebras, but the effect is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment