Friday, April 29, 2011

There's a first time for everything...

I had a field trip out with my students about three weeks ago. Not a particularly glamorous one - we just went to the local market, then outside the university gate for a bit. We talked about observation, not taking things for granted, sensory vocabulary, and so on.

Quite appropriate, then, that on that day, I saw:

A) The first Porsche that I've ever seen in our neighborhood (though not the first in China by a long shot: more on that in another post); and...

IMG_4989

B) A guy with a trained monkey, that he kept on the end of a leash and forced to do tricks for passersby, asking for a little change in return.

IMG_4953

Now, mind you, I'm not condoning either practice. Indeed, quite the opposite. (Which is worse? I'll leave that for the comments...) However, it is quite interesting, and more than a bit strange, to be in a country where one can take these two pictures within 200 meters of each other on the same day...

No comments:

Post a Comment