Sunday, July 3, 2011

the iPad, revisited with Brushes

One of the reasons that I was all keen on getting an iPad was to have the chance to use a program (oh, excuse me, an app) called Brushes, which I'd read about off and on in the past couple of years. In particular, I'd heard about artist David Hockney's work with the program, and while some of his drawings on the iPad seem a touch on the cheesy side to me, I was excited about the idea of having a fairly portable painting studio that I could leave and come back to without any cleanup to speak of.

And then, right as we got the iPad, the news came in of the explosion in the nearby factory that produced it. The world news cycle has, of course, moved on, and we've had other things going on with our lives as well, but I'm still intrigued with the story. So while it might not be the prettiest subject for a set of paintings, I decided to make the explosion, and the events and landscapes surrounding it, the subject for my first experiments with the program. Here are some of my first attempts, presented without comment for now...

Foxconn Factory Explosion News Coverage, v1

Foxconn Factory Explosion News Coverage, v2

Bus for workers, Foxconn plant, Chengdu

Rice fields and worker dormitories, Chengdu Foxconn plant, v2

Landscaping and High Speed train tracks, Foxconn plant, Chengdu

"Love Life" Suicide Prevention Rally, Foxconn Factory, Shenzhen

No comments:

Post a Comment