Monday, May 17, 2010

Some observations on observations

Self-portrait, Renmin Nan Lu, Chengdu

It should come as no surprise that, here in China, I'm in observation mode a great deal of the time. It's a new culture, and I pay attention to mundane things around me that I'd take for granted back in the States. Because I don't often understand the language, I often spend time in conversations looking around me, or listening to things other than words.

And, most importantly - who am I trying to kid here? - I'm an observer by nature. I'm geeky, nosy, curious, and tend towards the introverted side of the spectrum. Don't know why I'm surprised that I'm that kind of person in China as well. Every once in a while, I feel bad that I'm doing something else, but what do I really need to do? Share my %*$#@! observations already... ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment