Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Someone else you should know about

Okay, if you know all about photographer Edward Burtynsky, move on ahead to the next post. But if you don't, be prepared to stay on a different planet for a while.






Burtynsky makes huge photos of all the things most of us never see (and you should click on the links to see them large, by the way) in our consumer culture. He shows us the factories, mines, and the places we throw things away, all in photos that are beautifully scary. The photos I've linked to are all from China, but he has taken pictures all around the world, from open pit mines in Australia to the Trucker's Jamboree (the only location of his that I have visited) in Walcott, Iowa.

I could go on talking about these images for a while (ask my students about that...), but I think they can also speak for themselves quite well. It's also interesting to hear him talk about his work, so I'm adding a video below. Extra credit, y'know...

No comments:

Post a Comment