Saturday, November 13, 2010

Remembering how to see

Woman viewing Richter's Woman descending a staircase, Art Institute of Chicago

I was incredibly happy to notice the other day that James Elkins, one of my favorite professors from grad school, has started writing a blog for the Huffington Post. His first couple of posts are great, and have got me thinking again about looking, thinking, and paying attention to the world around you.

If you have ever, for example, walked by a Mondrian in an art museum and said, "Okay, what's the big deal with that one?"



...then this post should be required reading. And how long does it take to look at a painting, anyway?

An added bonus for me when reading his essays is that, because he's a professor at the School of Art Institute of Chicago, all of the paintings that he's describing are ones that I've also spent a great deal of time with. It's like finding a newspaper article that happens to mention several old friends of yours that you haven't seen in a year or two. Quite nice to catch up, though it does make me a bit homesick for a couple of rooms full of big, juicy, well-made paintings about now...

No comments:

Post a Comment