Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Home away from home

IMG_1233
Most of my time this last fall, at least from around 8:30 to 4:30 or 5:00 Monday to Friday, plus some evening meetings and weekend events, has been spent at the Chengdu Waldorf School, where I now work teaching English. The kids all go to school there as well, which has been an interesting new part of our experience.

Here are a few pictures of life in and around the school. Because this blog is published using Blogspot, a technology blocked in China, I don't think that very many people involved with the school will be reading this, but still, I'd like to respect everyone's privacy as much as possible.

What that means in real terms is that even though my teaching and life at the school takes up the lion's share of my time, I don't forsee writing a huge amount of posts about it. Not because of any great secrets, but because anything that I would manage to write would be a very incomplete picture. And, because the school is the first Waldorf School in China and gets a fair amount of attention from all sorts of people, I'd hate to give anyone the wrong impression about it from a simple photo or a paragraph or two.

Still, it is a really nice place to work! Here are just a few pictures to give a very small taste of the school, and what our day to day routine has been like for the last five months or so.

IMG_1222
I mean seriously, how many schools have their own bamboo groves that their students can wander through?

IMG_1224
Or sandpits just filled with big piles of bricks that kids can build with?

IMG_1221
If you've ever been in China with kids, you'll know that swingsets for kids are few and far between.

IMG_1220
There's Ysa outside her kindergarten class, making something to eat out of sand. One thing that I will say about the school, we've had to wash the kids' winter coats quite often this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment